Prodromos Monastery (Serres)
12 km NE of Serres is situated the Monastery of Prodromos which is considered to be one of the most impressive and well preserved monasteries in the Balkans. Monastery of extreme beauty built in 1270 was the residence of Gennadios Scholarios, the first Patriarch of Constantinople (Istanbul) after Ottomans have invaded Byzantine Empire. The trekking trail starting below the monastery takes us to the picturesque church of Agia Paraskevi and the deserted village of Lakkoi, where you will be offered a relaxing picnic by the river.
- 09h00am departure to St. John Prodromos Monastery which was built in late of the 13th AD century.
- Prodromos monastery is considered to be a monument of Byzantine art of extraordinary beauty that served as residence of Gennadios Scholarios, the first Patriarch of Constantinople (Istanbul) after Ottomans invasion in the Byzantine Empire. During Balkan wars, the Bulgarians have looted 24 gospels, 1500 old books, 200 manuscripts and other valuables. In 1986 a female fraternity settled in the Monastery; and since that time is taking care of its continuous maintenance and restoration.
- Below the monastery is the gorge, being the old path connecting Serres with Nevrokopi. Nowadays the path makes part of the European E4 & E6 trails network.
- You walk alongside the river part (1hrs approx.), you cross bridges, see the small picturesque church of Agia Paraskevi towards the deserted Lakkoi village.
- Picnic by the river and time at leisure.
- Return to Serres in early afternoon.
- Transportation and in-depth visits as per detailed itinerary
- Admission fees as per programme
- 1 hrs trekking at Prodromos gorge
- Picnic by the river
- Geo Routes escort
- Geo Routes material
- **** not included: personal expenses, tips, gratuities, anything not explicitly stated above
Cultural themes & activities
4 hours religious-historic tour
(Tour code: GR033)
- Daily on request except Sundays
- Bookings close 72 hours prior to departure
- Program does not operate on 6 January, 25 March, 1 May, Orthodox Easter, 28 October, Christmas & New Year periods
- Serres (Elpida Resort Hotel)
- Monastery of Timios Prodromos
- Trekking by the gorge
- Church of Agia Paraskevi
- Lakkoi village
For more details:Contact Us!