Athens Metro Stations Tour. The Underground Treasures & Excavations
During the construction period of Athens metro network, a great archeological excavation of 79 sq. klm was carried out that brought to light more than 50,000 archaeological findings. Let’s board to the “wagon of history” to get acquainted with the history of Athens at 4 metro stations -small scale museums- and admire exhibits found to the galleries of the stations.
- 10:00am your underground discovery tour starts at the Acropolis metro station where excavations that spanned to an area of 2500 sq.m certified the use of the space from the 3rd millennium BC. until Byzantine times. Graves dated back to the Middle-Helladic and Post-Helladic Era, as well as houses, workshops and baths were also revealed.
- Next, by metro you reach Syntagma In Syntagma excavations brought up bronze castings of statues of the classical era, a cemetery dating from the Mycenaean to Byzantine times, a Roman bath, a section of the Peisistratian aqueduct, the banks of Iridanus River and part of the ancient road that was leading to Mesogaia.
- You reach Monastιraki station on foot, where excavations revealed a settlement from the Geometric period (8th century BC), as well as an extremely important finding, the riverbeds of Eridanus River. Buildings, workshops, graves and water supply and sewage systems prove Monastiraki was continuously inhabited from the Mycenaean period until recent years.
- Last station to visit is Keramikos where part of the most significant cemetery of the ancient city of Athens was found. Among the 1200 graves dating back to the beginning of 7th century BC up to Roman times confirm its association with the Peloponnesian War. In Keramikos was also revealed a cemetery, remnants of a ceramic workshop and the bed of Eridanus River.
- 13h00 your program to the underground treasures of Athens comes to an end.
- In-depth guided visits as per detailed itinerary
- Metro tickets to the stations of the program
- A coffee or refreshment during the tour
- Geo Routes tour guide
- Geo Routes material
- ** excluded: personal expenses, tips, gratuities, anything not explicitly stated above
3 hours cultural walking tour
(Tour code: GR016)
- Daily on request
- Βookings close 72 hours prior to departure
- Program does not operate on 25 March, 1 May, Orthodox Easter, 28 October, Christmas & New Year
- Acropolis Museum main entrance, Dionysiou Areopagitou 15, 117 42
- Acropolis metro station
- Syntagma metro station
- Monastiraki metro station
- Keramikos metro station
History – Archaeology
Private Tour 2 pax: 179€ pp
Private Tour 4 pax: 119€ pp
Private Tour 6 pax: 89€ pp
Group Tour: from 39€ pp
Child reduction 2-12 Y.O (in a triple room with 2 adults): 10€ pp
For more details:Contact Us!