Secrets of Athens
This cultural walking tour is about revealing the ‘other’ side of Athens, being not usually shown to visitors. Impressive neoclassical buildings, historic and modern squares, markets full of colors and aromas, noisy spots of everyday life, they all together compose a unique setting from the glorious past to the vivid present of Athens.
- 10:00am Meet with your guide at Syntagma Metro Station to see some of the ancient exhibits hosted to the galleries and the platforms of the station.
- You then visit Numismatic Museum, housed in a neoclassical 3-storey building that was built on 1881 for Heinrich Schliemann from the famous architect Ernst Ziller. At the time of its completion, it was considered to be the most magnificent private residence of Athens. Its collections include 600,000 objects, mainly coins but also medals, standard masses, dies, stamps and others, from the 14th century BC until modern times
- Next, short visit to the National Library, housed in a beautiful neoclassical building which hosts the national written treasures of Greece. Designed by Theophil Hansen and built under the supervision of Ernest Chiller. Among others, the library contains 15.000 volumes, 4.500 manuscripts and archives of the Greek Revolution.
- At Kotzia Square you will see the Town Hall, the beautiful neoclassic buildings of the National Bank of Greece and part of the ancient city walls which came to light upon National Bank latest renovation.
- Later, to the spectacular Central Market where locals go for daily food shopping, you see fresh products of meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, fruits and spices full of colors and aromas.
- You then arrive to the picturesque Monastiraki Square to see the church of Virgin Mary, the Ottoman Mosque of 1759 and explore the open air colorful and crowded bazaar at Pandrosou and Hephaestus streets.
- Crossing Agia Irini Square, the latest hot-spot of the city, this iconic experience to the “other” side of Athens ends to the renowned marketplace of Ermou street around 13h00.
- In-depth guided visits as per detailed itinerary
- Entrance fees to the Numismatic Museum
- A coffee or refreshment during the tour
- Geo Routes tour guide
- Geo Routes material
- *** excluded: personal expenses, tips, gratuities, anything not explicitly stated above
3 hours cultural walking tour
(Tour code: GR032)
- Daily on request (except Tuesdays)
- Βookings close 72 hours prior to departure
- Program does not operate on 25 March, 1 May, Orthodox Easter, 28 October, Christmas & New Year periods
- Syntagma Metro Station
- Syntagma Metro Station
- Numismatic Museum
- National Library
- Town Hall Square
- Central Market
- Pandrosou and Hephaestus str
- Agia Irini Square
For more details:Contact Us!