The engineering of the Parthenon (Acropolis of Athens)
This program goes way beyond a typical guided tour to Acropolis. The Engineering of the Parthenon made for experienced voyagers seeking to comprehend the historical and artistic value of the most glorious monument of the ancient world. It’s not a surprise that Acropolis of Athens has been named a European Cultural Heritage monument (2007) and has been listed as UNESCO World Heritage site on 1987. This edition highlights the architectural and the constructional technology of the 5th century BC. and how this highly sophisticated project has been achieved. An informative lecture prior visiting Acropolis also provides significant insights about the economic and political dimensions of the Classical Era of the Athenian Democracy.
- 08:45: meeting with your tour guide at the reception of Airotel Parthenon Hotel
09:00: 45 mins lecture that will let you become acquainted with Acropolis group of buildings, especially the most famous of all, the Parthenon. Through this lecture you approach Parthenon in depth, you get to know where and how marbles were extracted, the means of transport used to carry the materials from Mt. Penteli to the Acropolis (30 klms far) also about the building techniques applied for Temple’s construction.
- 10:00: Your journey back to the centuries begins from the Temple of Olympian Zeus, the biggest temple of antiquity in mainland Greece, Hadrian’s Gate and the sponsored Monument of Lysikrates in Plaka.
- Walking part of the road used by carriages for bringing the marble stones of Parthenon to the Acropolis, you see the Theater of Dionysus and the famous Odeon of Herod Atticus.
- Next visit is on the iconic Holy Rock of the Acropolis, where you will admire the Propylaea, the temple of Athena Nike, the Caryatids statues at the Erechtheum, and of course the Parthenon, leading example of the ancient Greek architecture.
- Walking around the fortified rock of Acropolis, you will enjoy a panoramic view of Athens and you will see the hill of Philopappos, Pnyx and the Ancient Agora, being landmarks of philosophy and of the first democracy in the world.
- Your journey to the classic antiquity of Athens ends at 13.00pm.
- In-depth guided visits as per detailed itinerary
- Lecture and PowerPoint presentation
- Entrance fees to the Acropolis of Athens
- Geo Routes tour guide
- Geo Routes material
- *** excluded: personal expenses, tips, gratuities, anything not explicitly stated above
Cultural themes & activities
4hours archaeological walking tour
(Tour code: GR002)
- Daily on request
- Βookings close 14 days prior to departure
- Program does not operate on 25 March, 1 May, Orthodox Easter, 28 October, Christmas & New Year periods
- Acropolis of Athens (1987)
- Hotel Airotel Parthenon
- Temple of Olympian Zeus
- Hadrian's Gate
- Lysicrates Monument
- Dionysus Theatre
- Odeon of Herod Atticus
- Acropolis of Athens
For more details:Contact Us!