The Battle of Marathon
The Battle of Marathon refers to the Greco-Persian Wars held in September 490 BC. The decisive battle was fought on the Marathon plain of northeastern Attica in which the Athenians, in a single afternoon, repulsed the first Persian invasion of Greece. In the battle, 10.000 Athenians took victory over 100.000 infantry and 1.000 cavalry of Persian forces who lost 6.400 men; while Greeks lost only 192 men. The battle proved the superiority of the Greek long spear, sword, and armour over the Persian empire. After 23 centuries of silence, Modern Olympics reborn again in Athens-Greece in 1896. At that time, the first ever organized marathon was inducted to the games being inspired by the legend of the Battle of Marathon and the journey of Pheidippides from Marathon to Athens (40 klms) to announce the victory of Greeks against Persians. In this program you become acquainted with a cornerstone event which is often seen as a pivotal moment for the European history.
- 09.00am your tour heads northeast of Athens to the Dam of Marathon lake, an artificial reservoir created in the 1930s to supply Athens with adequate drinking water. Today it attracts many visitors who enjoy the beautiful nature and the environment.
- You next visit the Tomb of Marathon that sits close to the battlefield where the decisive famous battle took place. This 10m-high tumulus, or burial mound, houses the 192 Athenians who lost their lives, fighting against Persians.
- Then at the Archaeological Museum of Marathon you may see findings originating from the Battle of Marathon, also exhibits from the Prehistoric to late Roman periods.
- In the city of Marathon you visit the Marathon Run Museum that hosts over than 4.000 precious exhibits recording the history of the Marathon race from 1896 until today. Among others it features cups, the authentic medal of the first winner of the Olympic Marathon road race Spyros Louis, personal belongings and numerous relics of the legendary Marathon road race athlete Stelios Kyriakides, winner of the Boston Marathon in 1946.
- On your way back, you also see Athens Authentic Marathon starting point. Return to Athens around 2pm.
- Transportation and in-depth visits as per detailed itinerary
- Admission fees as per programme
- Geo Routes tour guide
- Geo Routes material
- Liability Insurance
- *** excluded: personal expenses, tips, gratuities, anything not explicitly stated above
5 hours historic-cultural tour
(Tour code: GR022)
- Daily on request (except Tuesdays)
- Βookings close 72 hours prior to departure
- Program does not operate on 6 January, 25 March, 1 May, Orthodox Easter, 28 October, Christmas & New Year periods
- On request
- Dam of Marathon lake
- Marathon Tomb
- Archaeological Museum of Marathon
- Μarathon Run Museum
- Classic Marathon kick-off gate
For more details:Contact Us!